Just a little place for me to post to my hearts content. My crafts and creations, photos and thoughts.

Feb 8, 2012

Valentine's Heart shaped pot-holder




   I was looking for a cute item I could whip up and make for everyone i know for Valentine's gifts and settled on this Heart shaped pot-holder from Martha Stewart. Let's just say that won't be happening. I should have known going in that anything using quarter inch seam binding is ALWAYS a major pain in the ass, but I kept telling myself to do it, DO IT!    Also, in an effort to make it more ouch proof I used 2 layers of natural batting and a layer of insul-bright. (The Martha pattern calls for 3 layers of only batting) I also did a light machine quilting to hold those layers together better.
 Add to that  a few layers of cotton and it was just too thick for that teensy tiny quarter inch binding.
 I ended up doing a zig zag stitch over the edges to seal all the loose ends up, and I do like the way it turned out, but now my easily aggravated and short attention spanned mind has said "OK,...that's enough" for this project for the time being. 
           Pot holder directions can be found HERE   please note that the pattern prints out small and you are expect to enlarge it by 200% , which I find silly since the final size could have easily been provided in the first place, SECOND the pattern and instructions are incomplete as written and printed. I printed out 3 and cut one out as the pocket template and another as the batting template.
Purlbee.com has provided a correct printable template HERE

                    all the pretty pieces
                 

No comments: